Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Candied Pecans

My new favorite snack. It's just so friggin easy. I'm thinking of wrapping up bags of this stuff and giving it as Christmas presents. I'm broke, ok!

1 cup pecans (halves or in pieces)
1 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. of olive oil
1/4 cup of brown sugar

Heat a frying pan to medium heat. Stir together the vinegar, oil and brown sugar in the pan until it becomes a bubbling syrup and the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour in the pecans and stir until each pecan is covered. Spread out on a piece of foil to cool. That's it!




I love these on a salad. I got the idea from  Coquette where they serve a simple and wonderful romaine salad with crumbled goat cheese and candied pecans (pieces). I am obsessed with the absolutely genius  combination of a soft mild cheese and crunchy sweet pecans. Thank you, Coquette chef. I owe you one.

When I make it at home I dress it with this dressing:  olive oil, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and salt & pepper. A tbsp. or so of each. Whisk. Good stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! Loved these! I am making the biscuits in the morning. Can not wait...
    So glad you told me about your blog
    RJM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting! Let me know how the biscuits turn out. Last batch I made were bland. The recipe may need a pinch more salt. -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I've been wanting to make a candied nut for some time now. This recipe seems simple enough for me to follow. I think it would be a great addition to a salad I make w/ field greens, strawberries, feta cheese all tossed in a balsamic vinegrette. I made this sald for a pot luck and it was a big hit.

    ReplyDelete