Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Coulis

After watching last night's domination of the Patriots, I was in the zone this morning with my breakfast choice. Coulis is a new breakfast joint that has gotten a lot of buzz for opening in the old Bluebird Cafe building on Prytania near Touro. I have never been to the Bluebird (scared away by their notoriously long lines) but I can confidently say that Coulis is definitely filling those shoes well. My fellow diners who have been to the Bluebird also agree.





Above is the breakfast menu. Lunch is on the other side. We went around 10 a.m. on a Tuesday and the place was pretty empty. I'm sure there is probably a busy time in the mornings (they open at 6 a.m.) and at lunch.  Now, on to the important part: the food. I had their version of eggs benedict: jalapeno cornbread, pulled pork, two poached eggs and hollandaise. The egg and hollandaise were simply perfect. The pulled pork was  juicy and not too sweet. I found myself eating it with a fellow diner's biscuit instead of the cornbread; that last element was just too much after a few really rich bites.








Mama had the banana pancakes. Nothing to complain about here, except that the bananas were on top and not cooked into the pancake. Just a personal preference of mine. These were really good though; not too thick or dense which my pancakes tend to be. I think I tasted a little hint of cinnamon, which was pleasing. The Music Man had an omelet with veggies and it was gorgeous. His hashbrowns were unique and addictive. Shaped like chips but thicker and not as crispy. I know a certain hash brown enthusiast who is really going to dig these babies. They are shown below with the omelet.

  

Coulis is open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Breakfast all day on weekends.



The Verdict: Really Good. Try it.







No comments:

Post a Comment