Thursday, December 17, 2009

Soup Season

I recently had dinner alone at the bar at Mat and Naddie's and was reminded of the sheer joy that a good soup can bring to a person on a cold rainy night. The chef takes great pride is his daily soup selection and this evening's beef and vegetable was no exception. The consistency was spot on - not too runny or too thick. The beef, carrots, onions and mushrooms were all cut up into smaller pieces than your family style stew - and this was a welcome change. I like to be able to taste every flavor in a single bite and smaller pieces makes this possible. It was served piping hot, so dipping buttered french bread in it for those first tastes was a necessity and a wonderful experience.

This is not the first time I have been transported to another place by the soup at M&N. A few months back I almost made a fool of myself gushing over a shrimp bisque that rocked my world. The flavor of shrimp plus rich creaminess was pure heaven. If I ever have the opportunity to taste that again, I will be one happy lady.

On this visit, I also had the fried oyster salad. I can easily say this was the best fried oyster salad I have ever had. Been dreaming about it ever since. First of all, there were like a dozen oysters on this plate! Plump, juicy, and fried into golden ovals of pure delight. Plated in a circle around a large mess of lettuces with bacon, pickled fennel and onion, this dish was crowned (from underneath) with a green onion remoulade. This masterpiece has taken the place of my previous favorite, the prosciutto wrapped scallop salad. Every bite was enjoyable; the remoulade complimented the oysters so damn well.

Dessert was the chocolate truffle cake. More like a torte, it was just the ticket to soothe that monster inside me that demands chocolate at the end of every meal. It was served with two sauces, one rasberry and the other a creme anglaise; they were superfluous really. One of the reasons I love Mat & Naddie's so much is because they have a serious dessert list: all made in house, delicious. From the blueberry peach cobbler with oatmeal and brown sugar crust to the chocolate peanut butter gooey butter cake - anyone with the slightest sweet tooth will be hard pressed to resist these items.

Mat & Naddie's is one of my favorite Riverbend fine dining spots. The converted home and interesting art makes it a welcoming setting. The service is almost always satisfying. The waitstaff actually know a thing or two about the wines and has given me lots of advice on ordering. I have had one not so great experience with a busty blond bartender who wouldn't stop whining to her co-workers, but haven't seen her since.

Will be taking pictures on my next visit. I was too busy congratulating myself on my great restaurant choice and menu choices that I didn't get the chance to take any. 

The Verdict: Love it, especially soups and salads.

2 comments:

  1. Saw a link to your blog from Chowhound. Appreciate your posts :)

    M&N's is one of my favorites too. I really love their lunch buffet's, I think it's one of the best values in the city

    nola79

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the comment. I was actually at M&N last night and although I didn't try the soup (french onion) I had that oyster salad again. To die for! Even though not as large as I remembered. They really are the best fried oysters ever.

    ReplyDelete